Sunday, March 09, 2008

Old is new again (otra vez)



Yes, Virginia, the Rubik's Cube is back.

When I saw my 10-year old nephews playing with Rubik's Cubes a few months ago, I thought it was just an isolated case and that it was one of their passing fancies. They usually have their favorite "toys of the month" and this must've been one of them. After seeing a rack of Rubik's cubes in Toy Kingdom, my suspicions intensified. Then as I was in Trinoma last week and saw the neighborhood "bangketas" selling them as well, I knew that it was making a comeback.

I thought: "Hmmm... Only in the Philippines..."

Lo and behold. As I was in the MTR in HK this afternoon, a group of teenagers were busy with their Rubik's Cubes as well. There were around 4 of them and they were in a race to see who'd finish first. Too bad I had to get off Wan Chai and didn't see who won. But this just goes to show that another classic from the 80s has made its way back this year.

Yes, Virginia, the Rubik's Cube is back.

When we were kids, we had a lot of these cubes at home. Aside from the classic 6-color ones, we also had ones that had fruit designs, numbers and patterns. I had such a hard time getting all 6 sides to match, and I could only do 2 or 3 at most. At one point, I was so frustrated that I dismantled my cube and put it back together so all sides would be of the same color. As Machiavelli would say: "The end justifies the means."

Admittedly, I didn't see this trend coming. Then again, some of the 80s toys have been reappearing on the shelves the past few years. (Think Transformers, G.I. Joe, Cluedo) So that means it's not only old fashion trends that are making a comeback, toys are also following suit.

Yes, Virginia. The Rubik's Cube is definitely back.

No comments: