Friday, March 21, 2008

Pick AX

Last night, my friend asked me where he could buy a pair of Clark's shoes. I brought him to two stores that carried the brand, and he had his eye on 2 pairs. Likewise, I told him that Citygate Mall has a Clark's outlet store, so we agreed to go there today.

As he was going from one store to another in search of shoes, I proceeded to wander aimlessly around the mall. Then, I saw a big sign that made my palms sweaty and my heart palpitate:

"Armani Exchange Jeans upto 90% off"

Like a spaceship caught on the Enterprise's tracker beam, I was locked and drawn to that sign. While walking, my mind was telling me: "There must be a catch. There's a punch line here somewhere." A few minutes later, the rack was right in front of me and there were piles and piles of exquisite jeans. There was one with a silk screened pattern on the side, another one had a rust-like finish, and one pair had round studs all over the pocket. So far, so good.

The rust-finished jeans were my favorite, so that's what I checked out first. Immediately, I checked the pair on top of the pile to see what size it was. The tag said: 38. I took the next pair, and it said: 38. Another pair: 38. And another: 38. Next up was the navy colored denim, and after checking the first pair, the size was 36. The next one: 38. The third one: 36.

There's the catch.

Almost all of the styles were only available in 2 sizes: 36 and 38. My enthusiasm disappeared, and the song "Ironic" was playing in my head. It's a cheap pair of jeans, but none in my size - Isn't it Ironic, don't you think.

As I was walking away, I noticed a few pairs on the floor. They probably fell off while other people were yanking the jeans off the rack. Being a nice customer, I picked up the jeans and put them on the rack. Instinct told me to check the sizes before returning them, and they turned out to be size 31 and 34! Normally, I'm a size 30, but I usually get size a size 32 or 34 so that it would sit nicely on my hips and not on my waist. These jeans had potential, so it was off to the dressing room for me.

They fit!!!



One pair had a nice colored pattern on the back pocket.


The other had strips of denim on the knee area giving it a bit of a skateboarder vibe.


The other one was cut in such a way that the denim weave was diagonal instead of horizontal or vertical. It must've been a bias cut and that means they used more fabric than usual for this pair.


Three pairs of Armani Exchange jeans, and it cost me less than a steak dinner at Ruth Chris! (And since I don't eat steak in the first place, these jeans are a better deal than that big slab of meat. Harhar.) I'm glad I AXed this one.

3 comments:

The Truth said...

Nudie Jeans rock!

jericho said...

so are you clearing out the jeans racks of HK before taking that vacation?

Dazed and Confused said...

Nudie Jeans rock, indeed. Although I've never had a compulsion to buy a pair. Not yet, at least.

Yes, Ron. There are too many jeans in HKG, and I'm just doing my part in getting rid of the excess. Hahaha.