Monday, March 10, 2008

Dutti Calls



Without any pageantry or pomp, Massimo Dutti has opened its shop doors in Hong Kong. It has been so low-key, even I didn't know that they opened already. It doesn't help that their first shop is in a hidden part of IFC. Good thing that their second shop - in Harbour City - is in a busier place.

Back when I was in Spain, Massimo Dutti was better known as Zara's older and more expensive sibling. Both brands are owned by Inditex, and they're supposed to cater to different markets. Zara is supposed to be for the early 20s and 30s set, that's why their designs are a bit more colorful and trendy. Massimo Dutti targets the late 30s and 40s set, and that means more tailored and corporate looking clothes. Even the way the store is designed reflects this market - they have more dark wood and the interiors have that "Wells-Fargo" vibe. It actually reminds me of the Ralph Lauren store near the Star Ferry Terminal.

When I first saw Massimo Dutti in Barcelona, it didn't have any appeal to me at all. Maybe it was because of my age, but I was more drawn to Pull and Bear and Zara that time. But looking around the Massimo Dutti store today, I feel like their clothes are more appropriate for me now, and I might come back and try a pair of trousers - proper trousers, and not jeans - one of these days.

No comments: