Saturday, March 08, 2008

Old is new again

This spring, magazines are heralding the entry of the "Global Look" as the next big trend. Fashion houses are looking at other cultures and infusing their prints and colors into their new collections. That's why it's no wonder that prints ranging from African to Mexican to Middle Eastern to South East Asian are fast being incorporated into dresses and shirts.



Even H&M is riding the global trend and their Balinese/African dresses have hit the shelves here in HK.



While shopping for fruits this afternoon, I swung by the vintage store since I haven't been there for more than 3 months. My impromptu (and very short) visit was rewarded by this really cool find:



I found a dress that was part Safari, part Singaporean. The silhouette is a bit on the African side - a bit loose and almost caftan-like. The print, though, is a bit on the oriental side. It reminds me of the pattern found in traditional Singaporean clothes, and in the uniforms of Singapore Airlines' flight attendants. The color is on the desert shades, which adds to its "wild side."



What makes this dress a top shelf find (aside from it being very current) is the fact that it's a creation of Mr. dela Renta. That vintage shop is really a treasure trove! It was the same place where I found a vintage Hanae Mori and Norma Kamali.



I wonder when this dress was made? My conservative guess would be about 10-15 years. And if my guess is accurate, this means: 1. What's old is definitely new again, and 2. Oscar dela Renta was really way ahead of his time.

4 comments:

jericho said...

you were buying fruits and ended up with a dress. so you. haha

Dazed and Confused said...

I know. Hong Kong has that effect on people. Hahaha.

You know me so well.

Joni Andrea said...

just a passerby... nice blog.. if you don't mind me asking, where is this vintage shop located in hk? :)

Dazed and Confused said...

Hi Lime, the vintage shop where I found this dress is in Central near H&M. It's in one of the side streets that also has clothes stalls.