Sunday, March 30, 2008

Something old, Something new

It never ceases to amaze me - even if I've seen it more than a hundred times in my 3 year stay in HKG. One day, you go to a shop and get a chockfull of great deals, and the next day, that shop is boarded up and gone.

When the office was still in AIA, there was this noodle shop that I frequented every week. After a two week business trip, I came back and found that the noodle shop was gone. Not only that, it was replaced by a brand new restaurant - in a span of two weeks!

That's how fast the turnover of shops are here in HKG.

A large part of it is because the rent is quite expensive. Imagine, shelling out around P200,000 for a small space! That's probably why the lease contracts for shops here are shorter - 3 months minimum.

That happened to me again today. A few weeks ago, I was writing about this fabulous find at my favorite vintage shop. When I passed by this afternoon, the shop was gone! And there's a new shop that's almost half-done! And judging by how it looks, it definitely won't be the old vintage shop that I've come to know and love.

Well, I just hope that the new shop they're building will be much better than the old one.

1 comment:

jericho said...

wanna really know how fast the turnover in HK is?

when I came here, I was a boy. after a year ... i became more beautiful.. haha