Thursday, December 21, 2006

Temporarily Disconnected

It's been 6 days since I've arrived in Manila, and this is the first time I've opened my computer and ventured into the world wide web. For the past few days, I went on a "techie sabbatical" and I've almost forgotten how good it feels.

Between January and December, i've been to Manila more than a dozen times. But this is the first-honest-to-goodness-vacation. It's one of those few times when I'm in Manila to just laze around, without thinking about another regional meeting, teleconference, or FGD. This time, I'm just here to meander around the malls, meet old friends, and attend as many Christmas parties that I can. And knowing how we Pinoys love to party, I'm sure I'll be attending a lot.

The past few days can be best described as bliss. I've been waking up on my own bed, and without any pressure to get up and go to work. When I open my eyes, all I do is think of where I want to have breakfast later, then it's back to sleep.

Most of my mornings are now spent playing with Javier and making him giggle. Hearing babies laugh is one of my favorite sounds. Once he falls asleep, i'd take Bubbles out for her daily walk. I'm amazed at the memory of this spitz of ours. She still remembers our route and she actually leads me around. And of course, she'd always ask for her doggie massage.

Now, instead of going to Pacific Place or Cityplaza for lunch, I'm off to Megamall or Ayala Center to meet up with old colleagues and good friends. Of course, they dread having lunch with me since i'd often choose to eat at Jollibee, Wendy's or Max's. Agh! I've missed fast food so much! But of course, when I had lunch with my Ate last Wednesday, I had to bow to her culinary wishes. She ain't my Ate for nothing, you know.

Then in the afternoon, I'd meet up with Mark and we'd decide what to do or which movie to watch. Thank goodness the MMFF hasn't started yet and we can still catch a couple of good English films. We've seen "Happy Feet" and the soundtrack is just stellar. Hearing Brittany Murphy sing "Boogie Wonderland" is worth the price of admission. Today, we watched "Little Miss Sunshine" and it's surprisingly entertaining. Films about dysfunctional families are always fun to watch - it's like watching my own family. Hahaha!

And I must say, while emails and YM have made it possible for people from different parts of the globe to communicate, nothing beats the feeling of having the person in front of you. That feeling is something that technology can and will never replace.

Tomorrow, I'll also disconnect from my Hong Kong phone. I promised the office that i'd keep it open until the 22nd just in case some big emergency comes up. Thankfully, it hasn't rang for the past 4 days, and that means it's all good at the office. (Oh, it actually rang, but it was my former colleague calling, so I chose not to pick it up. Hehehe. Meanie!) The office will shut down for the holidays and we'll only be back on the 4th of next year. Awe-so-me!

Never has being disconnected felt this great. Being disconnected from work usually means being more connected with familiar places, worthwhile experiences and people I love and long to see.

I could get used to being disconnected.

Really, I could.

No comments: