Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Happy Hour

Since Le Shigmeister is going to be on holiday starting tomorrow, the expat group at the office decided to have an early Christmas dinner to cap the year, and to celebrate Le Shig's quest to become the next Vegas high-roller. Like any special occasion within the group, we decided to have dinner at Ruth's Chris'!

  Honestly, the phrase "fish out of water" applies to me whenever we dine at Ruth Chris. Why? The specialty on the house is steak. They've got the best steak in Hong Kong. You can have it cooked precisely the way you want to. They've got different cuts to suit different tastes. And their beef is soooooooooo good, it melts in your mouth. 

Incidentally, I'm pesco-vegetarian. 

Yup, while i'm surrounded by 12 carnivores who are happily gorging on 12oz Rib Eyes, I have to eat this teeny Seared Ahi Tuna with Red Pesto Sauce. Honestly! Each time we eat there, they call me a woos and put the "L" sign over their foreheads once my order arrives. 

As Peter so clearly puts it: "We dine at the best steak house in Hong Kong and YOU'RE EATING FISH?!?!?!?" I often retaliate by saying: "I'm actually here for the company, and not for the food," followed by bambi-eyes and an innocent smile. 

Yup, that gets them everytime. 

Speaking of company, this is the first dinner i'm having with our new colleague, Jeff. And I must say, Jeff is absolutely, undeniably, unbelievably funny! Throughout the course of our 4-hour dinner, he just brought out joke after joke after joke after joke after line after line after line after line and we just laughed our arses each time. 

His jokes were so diverse, from Benny Hill to Dr. Who to pirate talk. Then he'd make fun of the national anthems of his native Australia and England. Plus he sang this South African song which was soooooooooo funny, I thought Pete was going to spew out his asparagus. 

It's been a while since I laughed out so hard for so long! At one point, we were in tears. The term "happy hour" must've been coined for events like these. Now my stomach is so bloated because of the tuna, all those glasses of red wine, and all the air i've sucked in by laughing so hard. I definitely need to find some activity to do before going home and going to bed. 

That's why at quarter to midnight, I'm at the Central MTR station, blogging about that happy dinner we just had.

No comments: