Sunday, December 10, 2006

Bears and Babes

Speaking of the Conrad Hotel, their Holiday Decore was so adorable that I had to go back tonight to get a snapshot.

The entire Christmas tree is made up entirely of bears. Yup, it's a Bear-y Merry Christmas this year at the Conrad. (It's a pun! Mr. Soh would hate me for that. Hahaha!) They have fluffy white bears all over the lobby - from Christmas trees to wreaths to centerpieces, and yes, even the Advent candle set-up has been surrounded by bears.

One particular bear that I liked was this paper machie variety in white. I'd love to bring it home and put it beside our Christmas tree, alas, it was attached to the tree by a wire! So were the little bears. (Not that I was seriously considering filching a couple of bears. Really, I wasn't. Honest.)


On my way back home via Admiralty, I passed by HMV to check if they have new magazines.

They didn't.

What they had, though, was the latest CD of my favorite British girl group, Sugababes! Ever since I heard "Overload" a few years back, I've fallen in love with the group and their sound. Then, when I found out that one of their original members was Filipina. Mutya Buena was one of the original members and is the group's more prolific song writers. This gave me more reason to dig the group.



Their latest CD contains 14 of their best tracks, including Overload, of course. Other songs I love are: "Round, Round," "Freak Like Me," "Caught up in the Middle," and "Push the Button."

Strangely, Mutya is no longer on the CD cover. Apparently, she was dismissed by the group recently. Even stranger is that even if she's not on the cover, it's still her voice we hear in the songs. Even even stranger is that even if they have the new girl on the cover, she's not in any way involved in this project.

I just hope Mutya goes solo soon. She has an awesome voice and great songwriting skills. I'm sure she can easily do an Apl de Ap and do Pinoys proud with her music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought they were silly, too, to release a Singles album with the new girl on the cover, when she hasn't any piece of her music in it. I heard Mutya had a heated argument with the black girl and walked out on the group.

Anyway, yes, that papier-mache bear is sooo cute!

Dazed and Confused said...

I think that Mutya is a major loss for the group. She added spunk and character to the trio. (That, aside from her voice and songwriting skills, of course.) There was one British magazine with an article about the "new" Sugababes and the blurb was: "Why Mutya had to go..." I should look for that and get the real story behind the break up.