Saturday, November 17, 2012

There's a fruit cake for everybody...

For as long as I can remember, there's a long running joke about fruit cake and Christmas. Some people say that fruit cake is the "gift that keeps on giving." That's basically because if you give someone fruit cake, chances are they'll give it away to another person.

Fruit cake is also said to taste better as it ages - which isn't a bad thing. That's basically because it's going to be stuck in the freezer for who knows how many years!

Needless to say, everybody seems to be shying away from fruit cake during Christmas.

Everybody except me, of course. I just adore fruit cake! Especially the one that Dexter's makes! (And I'm not just saying this because Raymond and Ate Bullet makes these fruit cakes.) 


I still remember the first time I tasted Dexter's fruit cake. It was in 1990, and Raymond was just courting Ate Bullet that time. Raymond brought fruit cake at home, and when I tried it -- divine! The texture was very dense, there was fruit and nut with every bite, and there were a lot - a whole lot - of cherries. And as everyone knows, I'm a big fan of cherries.

It's been 22 years since I tried this fruit cake, and I still like it as much now as I did back then. That's a good gauge of how awesome Dexter's fruit cake is.

Everybody should try it!

No comments: