Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Resting on her Lauras

The fact of the matter is that ANTM lost me at "British Invasion." After hearing about that cycle, I kinda lost interest in the whole thing. Unlike cycles 6 to 17 where I watched at least half of the cycle, I never bothered to watch one episode of cycle 18, and only caught 2 episodes of cycle 19.

Although, in those 2 episodes of cycle 19, I already had an inkling of how it would all unfold. In my mind, it would be Laura and Leila as the final 2, with Laura eventually taking the title. My prediction was close, but not accurate, as Leila only made it as far as top 3. Kiara was the surprise runner up of the cycle.

But as I expected, Laura is America's Next Top Model.


How can't she be? She's tall and statuesque, she's fun and all-American, she's calm and drama-free, and of course, she has pedigree. Imagine, she has a former Miss World runner-up and model for a Mom, and her Dad is a famous soap opera star. She can get by on her parents' laurels alone.

But as ANTM will tell you, she won on her own merits. And that's the truth. She really made a big first impression, and she was able to take that all the way to that fierce finish line.

(Another interesting thing about "Laura" and ANTM is that she's the first "Laura" to actually win the title. Previous to her win, 2 "Lauras" had to settle for 1st runner up positions. First was Laura Kirkpatrick of Cycle 13 and then there was Laura LaFrate of Cycle 18.)

No comments: