Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What's the Baz

I'm a fan of Baz Luhrmann's films. He has a great sense of storytelling and visual panache. All his movies have a distinct look, and each frame is art directed beautifully.

Among my favorite films are two of his more popular works, Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rogue. These films both helped defined my generation: with its hip retelling of a Shakespeare classic, and the brilliant and modern reinvention of 80s and 90s songs.

I wasn't able to watch "Australia," and I haven't gotten around to getting a DVD. But the good news is that Baz Luhrmann has a new film to look forward to. A film based on another literary gem, "The Great Gatsby."


(trailer courtesy of youtube)

The trailer alone is a visual delight. From the art deco influences in the title cards to the period costume and architecture. It has all the makings of a visually delicious film! And it's a big plus that it's set in the 20s  - which is my favorite decades when it comes to visual signature.

If the trailer is any indication of the entire film, this is going to be good. Really good.

No comments: