Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fair and Square


Fact: I'm a big fan of wafers, even as a kid. There's something comforting about biting into a soft and crunchy cookie, layer after layer, and treated to sweet, creamy filling with each layer. (Dang! I think I just heard my tummy grumble.)

Growing up, I've had a number of favorite wafer brands. Locally, there's Nissin Wafer, which used to be sold in big tin cans with scenes from an English Countryside. Then, there was M.Y. San Wafers which had the right amount of sweetness and crunch. Finally, there's the Metro Biscuit Wafer, and they had the best strawberry variant, bar none.

Internationally, my favorites are Loacker and Marks and Spencer. The Hazelnut Wafers of Loacker is simply divine, and it goes well with ice cream. While Marks and Spencer's chocolate covered wafers are way, way worth the price. (And the gajillions of calories.)

A few months ago, I tried a local wafer that tastes very much like an imported one. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present Quadros Wafers.


Made by Goya, I think it got it's name from its square-ish shape. The wafers are very dense, and the filling is thick and creamy. I think they used Loacker as a peg since that's how their wafers feel and taste. 

But unlike Loacker, this wafer is cheap. This 60 gram pack is less than P30.00, and it's worth more when you start enjoying it.

They have other variants, but the Cream White Filling is my favorite at the moment.

Okay, now that I've taken a photo and talked about it, it's time to eat!


No comments: