Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Passage to India

India has always fascinated me. In fact, there are a lot of Indian things that I like. 

First and foremost, there's Indian food. I'm a huge fan of Naan Bread, Curry, Biryani, Paper Doosa, Samosas, Lassi - you name it. Mark and I would often eat at New Bombay in Glorietta, and later on, at the Podium with Ia and Chrissie. When I was in Hong Kong, I'd often eat at Curry in a Hurry. And whenever I'm in Singapore, any restaurant - even the street stalls in Little India - was a source of gastronomic joy.

Second, there's Indian fashion. Their love for color is astounding. Whenever I'm in Little India, I'd pass through these sari stores (not to be confused with sari-sari stores, harhar) and see all these beautiful, jewel colored and gold embroidered fabrics. There's something very regal about them, especially when you see them worn by women on the streets.

I remember when I was still living in HKG, they had this Gujarat wedding skirt at Zara, and it was more than HK$1,000. Common sense would say that it's too much for a skirt, but the workmanship was just mind boggling, and the design was top notch. I ended up buying it for Ate Bullet.

Finally, there are Indian accessories. Again, I would spend hours in Little India poring through rows and rows of bangles in all shapes, sizes and colors. I'd buy a lot of the stacked bangles in metal, especially the ones encrusted with stones. 

On my way home, I passed through this non-descript shop in Farmer's Plaza called Girl Shoppe. From the window display, I saw two necklaces that had this strong Indian vibe. Naturally, I had to go in and check it out.

And naturally, I came out of the store carrying those 2 necklaces. (Typical.)

The first one was this bronze colored necklace with bells and crystals hanging from the end of the semi-circular patterns.





It jingles and jangles, thanks to the bell. And I can imagine this jingling and jangling when the wearer does that Bollywood neck move. (Which I doubt my sister would do.)


Then, here's another bronze beauty. And it has this lace pattern that's deceptively delicate. It actually looks like fabric from afar.


But it's metal, and it's really, really nice. (Too bad I can't say the same thing about the photograph. Harhar.)


These India-inspired finds made me crave for Indian food. Maybe it's time to eat that dish that Bela gave. Or maybe it's time to swing by New Bombay tomorrow.


No comments: