Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pro(me)theus

Walking around SM Megamall, I saw a lot of posters, banners and standees promoting the upcoming film "Prometheus."

It's Ridley Scott's latest outing, and it's supposed to be a prequel to his iconic 1979 film "Alien." The title is based on the spaceship that takes the crew to another universe to discover the origins of man.

But that wasn't the first thing that struck me when I saw the title. The first thing that came to my mind was that "Prometheus" was the first role I played in high school. No, I did not play a spaceship. My role was that of the real Prometheus.



It was for our English class, and we were supposed to do a play about Greek Mythology. The tale assigned to us was "Pandora's Box," and Prometheus had a role in this story. Although I don't remember how the roles were chosen or assigned, but what I do remember is that I ended up tied to a rock in that play.

As a huge fan of Greek Mythology, I was actually hoping that the film "Prometheus" would really be about the Titan son of Iapetus and Clymene. It would be fun to see the role I played done on the big screen.

No comments: