Friday, January 27, 2012

FMM: The eyes have it

In one of our faculty lunches, the conversation shifted to old songs, and one song in particular - "Can't take my eyes off you." It turns out to be a favorite among the older faculty folks, and I just found out that the song was around longer than I thought it was.

My first recollection of that song was the swing version which Ate Lissa's friend, Mitos, danced to during a Miss Caloocan pageant. (Or something of that sort.)

With my newfound curiosity, I went around youtube looking for the song. And yes, the song indeed has so many incarnations.

From the Frankie Valli vintage version:


The unique version that only Vikki Carr can sing. (According to the host)


The funky, chill version of The Fugees, featuring Lauryn Hill, of course.


And the rock, head bang version from Muse.


This is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There's actually a lot, lot more. Including Frank Sinatra, Barry White, and of course, that swing version from my memory.

Looks like I'm going to have my ears full with eyes before this night is over.

No comments: