Monday, October 29, 2007

Sounds great!

Inspired by my constant visits to tambaycafe.com and Je's playlist at Multiply, I went to Music One yesterday to look for old OPM CDs. Listening to them via streaming was nice, but having a personal copy of cool, old songs is much, much better. So, with "Lupa" playing in my head, I hied off to Greenbelt 3 to start my quest. And it didn't turn out as easy as I thought it would.

First, the CDs aren't arranged well. After being used to HMV's almost anal arrangement, M1's was chaotic. Looking for a place to start was a bit difficult. Second, I didn't know how to start searching. Should I search based on the era? Or the artist? Or the genre? With these questions in mind, I started poring through the bins and after an hour, I found the "OPM Selection" category and found 4 glittering gems!



The first CD has a selection that's exactly the same as the one on Je's site. It's a compilation of Hard to Find hits from the 60s and 70s.



Gosh! This is a camp classic! Imagine, it has Nora Aunor singing "Going out of my Head" and Tirso Cruz III singing "Rock the Boat." Plus there's Dondon Nakar singing "Love will keep us together" and I just realized that he sounds like a little girl. Harhar. Listening to this is like experiencing an acid trip.



Then I got 2 MetroPop CDs. Having a memorable (albeit weird) brush with the MetroPop experience, I thought it would be nice to get a copy. This was the era when the contest came up with brilliant, brilliant songs. The lyrics, the arrangement - perfect! Among the famous songs that came out of MetroPop are APO's "Ewan", Rico J. Puno's "Lupa", "Umagang Kay Ganda" by Ray-Ann Fuentes and Tillie Moreno, and the iconic "Isang Mundo, Isang Awit" by Leah Navarro and "Ako ang Nagwagi, Ako ang Nasawi" by Dulce.

Listening to these songs make me wonder why they don't make music like this anymore.

Finally, I got a CD entitled "Best of 80s OPM" which has the early hits of Martin Nievera, Ric Segreto, Jam Morales and Regine Velazquez. But the biggest reason why I got the CD was this:



Chona Cruz! Blast from the past!

Hearing her sing: "I'm feeling zzekzee tooonight... (zzekzee), I'm feeling gooood, I'm feeling very quite alright" made all the hardwork worth it.

Really, really, really worth it.

No comments: