Monday, April 16, 2007

Something old. Something new.

Weekend was spent finishing up errands that I should've done before I went on my Holy Week holiday. This includes paying my electric bill (which was 2 days overdue!), sending out checks, and looking for my sister-in-law's shirts.

A month back, I sent Biboy a gift for his birthday, and decided to send everyone a little something, too. The shirt I sent Liz apparently fit her so well, she asked if I could send her some more. (Some meaning around 6 or more pieces.) Since the stores have changed seasons and those shirts were part of the Fall/Winter collection, finding them turned out to be a bit of a challenge. But as Mark said, I like these types of "challenges." (read: shopping)

So while I was scouring different stores in search of them, I walked into this small hole-in-the-wall in Mongkok, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. A thrift shop selling authentic vintage clothing.

According to the store sign, their shops specialized in vintage clothes from Japan. And judging by the racks that were there, the stuff they had were honest-to-goodness vintage clothes, and not new clothes trying to pass off as old ones. Poring through the racks felt like going through my Lola's closet - they were filled with funky, old clothes like this:



The best part is, the clothes are unbeliveably cheap! This one sold for around HK$30, which is cheaper than a meal at Triple O's! The money saved from buying something old immediately went to this new thing I also bought this weekend:



Yes, Arnie, I bought the Puma Roma Snakeskin sneakers. Not wanting a repeat of the Silver Chuck Taylor's episode, I immediately walked back to the store last Saturday and bought this wonderful pair of shoes. I wore them the entire day yesterday and I must say that they're uber, uber comfortable. If felt like I was wearing slippers!


These shoes are definitely made for traveling, and i'll probably be bringing this with me to my next travel destination.

Oh, I went back to the shop that sold the Black Patent Chuck Purcell's, and they're all sold out. The shoes I bought, as well as its white version, was wiped out. Nada. Nil. Zilch, Nein. Thank goodness I bought my pair before they all disappeared on me again.

Ah yes. The joys and perils of shopping in Hong Kong.

3 comments:

arniedelusong said...

ang gandaaaaaaahhhh ack :) good buy

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I love Puma. Nice pair!

Dazed and Confused said...

And as an added bonus to being a good buy and being a nice pair, they're so easy on the feet. I can walk a whole day with these shoes!