Sunday, April 01, 2007

Brazilian whacks and TST's Next Top Model

The Brazilian invasion continues. Back in Manila, they're practically in every commercial and fashion magazine. The past 6 months, I've worked with 4 of them, and they're fun to work with. Unlike some Filipino models, they have very easygoing attitiudes, are very professional, and they actually eat. A lot. Now, after conquering Manila, their next stop is Hong Kong.

As a favor to a friend, I spent the weekend with 4 of them. It was their first time here, and they needed a guide (or babysitter, as it sometimes feels). They're now joining the ranks of the growing Glamazonian population who roam the streets carrying their "books" in the hopes of landing a good ramp job or a print campaign. This bunch I accompanied were a talkative lot - and I've learned so much about them and their career in so little time.

Most of them go to Asia with nothing but a few hundred dollars and a dream. They come here with no contacts, no experience, no preparations - just a lot of guts, their towering heights and perfect faces. Upon hearing this, I told them that they're either very brave, or they're totally out-of-whack. But as Rosa explained, this is the only way they can escape their hard life in Brazil. Faces like theirs definitely don't belong in Supermercados Bahamas.

Plus, a lot of them are inspired by the many success stories they've heard about their fellowmen landing commercial gigs in Manila after being there for only 5 days. If it can happen to someone like Priscilla, why can't it happen to them. Yup, it's logical, but I think their means of accomplishing their goals is still a bit out-of-whack.

In return for my GPRS, styling, shopping and finding-a-cheap-place-to-eat services, they offered me...

(drum roll please)

Modelling tips.

I felt like I was trapped on an episode of America's Next Top Model and had 4 different coaches. Alonso pointed out that my posture can be improved and that I should walk with my shoulders back and head up. Most of this afternoon was spent with him slapping the back of my shoulders and telling me: "Come on, straighten up." Joao told me that my body was ideal for modelling and I shouldn't gain muscle or lose weight. My physique is apparently "easy to photograph." He also taught me how to stand up like there's always a camera in front of me.

Apart from the points for improvement, they pointed out a couple of "innate" qualities that I should pay attention to. First, they told me that I had a "walk." Whenever I walk down the street, it looks as if I'm following a beat - and this makes my stride constant and consistent - a plus if you want to do catwalk. (Truth is, I sometimes walk with a song in my head. Today, it was S Club 7's "Bring it all back to you." Harharhar.) Second, my eyes are supposedly distinct and easily connects to people and things. My instant guru's told me to be aware of that.

Tomorrow, they'll start pounding the pavements in search for the next lucrative deal. Our time together this afternoon made sure they've got everything they need: the right directions, a few added outfits, and loads of luck from me. Who knows, I just might see one of their faces in the next billboard for Lane Crawford, Joyce or Vivienne Tam.

And while i'm waiting for that to happen, I better get to work on my posture.

No comments: