Sunday, April 22, 2007

Mexxed out weekend

This weekend was like a trip back to 2003 when I was in Mexico. For some strange reason, I indulged my hunger for all things "Mexican" these past 2 days, and i'm feeling kinda mexxed out.

Mexican Food!

Melvin and I have long planned a lunch at Taco Bell Grande, and we finally went there yesterday. Of course, they don't have that restaurant here in Hong Kong, so I had to go all the way to Shenzhen, China to do that.

(Now that's something that you don't do everyday. Go to China for lunch! It's like: "Hmmmm... I think I'll go to China and have lunch today." Strange, but true.)

Unlike Taco Bell in Manila, the Taco Bell Restaurant is a sit-down, proper dining kind of place. The interiors remind me of those Mexican restaurants in Tampico and San Luis Potosi - yellow ochre walls, tiled patterns and Frida-esque paintings, dark wood tables with more tile details, and brightly coloured plates in orange and lime green.

(It also reminds me of Tequila Joe's! I miss that restaurant.)


Melvin and I had a big meal of chicken fajitas, tortillas, tostadas, chicken wings, tortilla soup, and a salmon salad with blue cheese dressing. The fajitas were great, but my favorite was the salad. Although that's not an authentic Mexican dish. So maybe it doesn't count.

Mexican TV

Another Mexican-inspired thing I did yesterday was to buy the boxed set of that hit American TV show - Ugly Betty. In this series, the protagonist is an immigrant from Mexico named "Betty", and she lives in a New York suburb with her very Mexican family, "Ignacio" (el Padre) and "Hilda" (la Hermana.)

The original wasn't set in Mexico or didn't feature a Mexican lead character, though. The original show was called "Betty La Fea," and it was shown on channel 7 some years back. If I remember correctly, it was even Chin-chin Gutierrez who voiced one of the characters. That series was made and set in Colombia, but had the same ugly duckling character who worked for a fashion company called Eco Moda.

The American version is funny because they've fused the original plot with shades of "Devil Wears Prada." The scene for the series is Mode Magazine - a Vogue-esque type of publication complete with a former editor-in-chief who wears an Anna Wintour bob, and special appearances of "the book." whenever I watch each episode on TV, it never fails to make me chuckle. Now, I don't have to wait for the series to finish on TV, I can finish the entire box this week. I hope.


It's too bad that they don't have Gorditas, Pinguinos, Choco-Lala and Molotov here or in China. If they did, then my Mexican weekend would really, really, REALL be complete.

No comments: