Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Home Sweets Home


Whenever I go back to Hong Kong from Manila, Ate Bullet always has boxes of cakes and pastries for me to bring back. Aside from making sure that I'm well-fed and my sweet tooth is well-indulged, another reason why she does it is to send a part of home with me back here.

Each time we open our fridge at home, or even at Ate Bullet's home, there's always a stash of Dexter's cakes and pastries. It can be pianono, spanish bread, cream puff, chocolate cupcakes or chocolate eclairs - but no matter what form the pastries come in, we can be sure that they're ever present in the fridge. Ate wants me to have that same feeling whenever I'm in Hong Kong. She wants me to open the fridge in my flat and see Dexter's cakes and pastries, that way, I'll also feel at home.

This time, Ate sent a box full of chocolate goodies - chocolate cake slices, chocolate cupcakes and chocolate brownies. I've had some for breakfast, and I brought a couple more at work for those mid-afternoon cravings. (Yup, those cravings arrived on time.) Of course, my colleagues wanted part of the action and one them begged me for a cupcake. He said: "Come on, Lester, it's just a cupcake! You can spare one for me, right?"

(I gave in and gave him one of my prized chocolate goodies. That's me... Mr. Nice Guy....)

Well, some people might see this as a simple cupcake. But for me, I see it as a piece of home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sure look delicious. Where can I buy them in Manila? I want to bring back some Jamaican Patties. :-)

Dazed and Confused said...

Yup, they're good. Next time you're in Manila, you should go to their shop. It's near White Plains in Katipunan and the name of the place is Dexter's. Their Chicken Pie is way better than Jamaican Patties. (Ok, i'm biased. Hahaha.)

Anonymous said...

Ang layo naman pala! Pero if worth the dayo, why not? :-) Thanks, Les!