Thursday, January 18, 2007

One language, 4 ways

Today I've had meetings with 4 of our offices:

Australia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand.

All the meetings were conducted in English, but what was peculiar was the fact that I had to speak the same language in 4 different ways. From the pronounciation, inunciation, even the choice of words.

I'd say "Mum" for Australia, "Mommy" for the Philippines, and "Mother" for both Thailand and Malaysia.

I used the word "disdain" which the Australians easily understood. I switched it to "despise" which the Philippines got. Then for Malaysia, "disgusted" was the word they got. (Although the meaning was a tad bit different.) And for Thailand, I had to settle with "she has a bad reaction on her face." (Which they got.)

Even my accent was affected by the people I was talking to. Unconsciously, I was saying "glaaass" when I was conversing with Robbie in Sydney. I was saying vowels in a very breathy way like the Thais during the teleconference with the Bangkok office.

This makes me wonder which "English" was normal. Is it the "American" English that most of the world speaks and the Philippines has been accustomed to? Or is it the "British" way of speaking. A Brit friend of mine once said that world should speak English the British way. To quote him, he said: "If you notice, the language is called 'English' and not 'American'." Suddenly, I miss Kin who speaks wonderful English with a British tone.

Thank goodness we didn't have meetings with the French and Indian offices today, that would necessitate another TOTAL change of tone and pronounciation. Eef I zpeak vid zee ofiss een Frans, I'd hav to zpeak like zeees.

Gosh, I can imagine my English being so confused after this.

No comments: