Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A little miss and a little miffed

As early as last night, I was googling the list of Academy Awards nominees in the hope that someone would've leaked information and put it on the net. (Much like spoilers.) But alas, there was none, and like the rest of the world, I had to wait until this morning for the official names to be announced.

And yes! Two of my uber faves made the cut!

"Little Miss Sunshine" is in the running as Best Picture. Compared to the other nominees, this film is a minute speck in Hollyworld. It has no big stars, not a big budget, and no big bang when it was released. But what it has is a big heart. After watching this film last December, the film enchanted me. What is it about holiday movies and dysfunctional families. In 2005, it was "The Family Stone" and now this.


Abigail Breslin, the wonderful little girl who played Olive in the film was also nominated as Best Supporting Actress. It would be nice to see her win, and i'm sure it would bring back memories of Anna Paquin's winning moment for "The Piano." Unfortunately, she's up against another one of my favorite actresses of all time!



Yes again! Cate Blanchett is nominated for her performance in "Notes of a Scandal." I haven't watched the film yet since it hasn't been shown here in HK. Then again, even if I haven't seen the film, Cate must have been stellar in it. She's one of my favorite actresses since watching "Elizabeth." She totally deserved the Best Actress oscar that year, and I was saddened by how the political machinery favored Gwyneth Paltrow's ho-hum performance. Hopefully, Cate wins again this year so she'll have her 2nd Oscar. And maybe next year, she'll get her well-deserved Best Actress trophy. (The sequel to "Elizabeth" is supposed to come out later this year, and her performance is supposed to equal - if not surpass - the first movie's acting.)

This put a little zing in my day which was otherwise blah. My friend and I were talking awhile ago about a predicament she has and just hearing about it got me a bit miffed, too. She posed this very intriguing and crisp question: Go on or give up? Now that's something to pore over.

No comments: