Thursday, August 24, 2006

Stuff it, ok?

My colleagues are big on "Tea Time." That's the HK version of "Merienda". Sometime between 2:30 to 6:30, someone calls this magic number and in a few minutes, our common area looks like this.


Open styrofoam boxes fill the table and the smell of deep fried goodies waft through the corridor. And like rats attracted to the Pied Piper's hypnotic melody, everyone follows the smell to the common area.

The nicest smelling of the lot would be the Fried Squid Legs. It's battered and deep fried, making the exterior crunchy and the exterior soft and rubbery.


The fried tofu is the favorite among those who want "healthy, Chinese food." That's an oxymoron, according to my colleagues. My favorite part of this dish is the sweet sauce. I make sure to smother it in that.


And of course, the sweets! I love this "glutinous ball filled with bean paste and dipped in condensed milk" creation. The interplay of tastes and textures add up to one very satisfying way to cap tea time.


I shouldn't stuff myself silly this afternoon. I still have a dinner to attend.

No comments: