Monday, August 28, 2006

Garden(ia) of Delights

Thanks to Joannah who flew in from Singapore this weekend, there are now 2 loaves of Gardenia Fruit and Nut Loaf in my fridge, and i've been noshing on them since I woke up this morning.


The first time I tried these was during my trip to Singapore last year. Some of my fondest memories then was just vegging out in Jo's apartment, watching TV and eating Fruit and Nut Loaf plus a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice Cream. That, to me, is the way life should be lived. Hahaha.

When I got back to Manila, I checked the Gardenia line of products and was disheartened to know that they didn't carry the Fruit and Nut variant. (We have Ube-Cheese and Choco-Mocha loaves, though, and that's worth a few brownie points.) Thus, I had to be content with the memory of that delicious loaf of Gardenia from Singapore.

At the risk of sounding like a print ad for Gardenia, this loaf really is excellent. There are apricot and raisin slices, as well as 2 or 3 different nut varieties mixed generously in the loaf. Generously means that you'll get at least a couple of raisins, a couple of apricots and nuts with every bite. The experience reminds me of eating a fruit cake, sans the liquour-y taste and half of the calories.

Even without any spread, this bread stands well on its own. But for added kick, I toast it and put on orange marmalade. And that makes one awesome breakfast and makes me one happy boy.

I'm trying to ration the bread so that it'll last me as long as possible. (I hope it doesn't get mouldy soon. But hey, the expiry date is September 1. 2 days to go.) Once again, thanks Jo for carrying these with you all the way from SG. You've certainly made my breakfast a very delightful experience.

2 comments:

K.noizki said...

Looks good.

I like the bread from the chinese bakery or the muffins from "Great" in Seibu, just a litte pricey but tho everytime we have our brunch at the Outback, their "free" bread is absolutely a kick ass.

BTW, thanks for dropping by at my blog.

K
knoizki.wordpress.com

Joanne said...

Hey L,

The Ube-Cheese variant sounds like a must-try. You must remind me to try it when we are in the bayang magiliw.

Happy to hear you are enjoying the bread. If you keep it in the ref, it should be fine for a long time yet. Trust me on this kasi our loaf at home should be walking itself when I get to finish the lot. Ganon ka tagal nauubos but thankfully, wala pa naman syang legs when I actually do finish it.

:-)

J.