Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Expressionists

Being surrounded by people of different nationalities, I'm used to hearing different expressions everyday. Each person's expression would vary based on their country of origin. For example, my colleagues from London would often say "Bugger", while the Singaporeans would say "Bloody Hell" and the Malaysians would say "F***ing Crap." Of course, my Chinese colleagues will be often heard saying: "Aiyah" and "Waaahhhhh." As for myself, I can often be heard saying: "Oh God", which might be a by-product of my predominantly Catholic upbringing.

Another thing I miss about the Philippines are the different expressions I hear everyday. One fabulous thing about working in advertising is that people just love twisting words and suddenly there's a new catchphrase circulating around town. But hearing new and funny expressions isn't limited to ad people. I hear them even from my college friends, my former McDonald's crew mates, my students and yes, even our househelp.

And out of those many, many words, there are a few that I really miss hearing. They're expressions that make me smile each time I think about them, just like these:

1. KOORAZ - This means "correct." Lisa Girl often mutters this when she agrees with what you're saying. The ways she says it is just stellar: there's a bit of airiness in her voice and the "OO" and "A" are extended like there's no tomorrow. So when I ask her: "Did I get the address right?" she'd answer: "Koooorrrraaaazzzzzzzz!"

2. NGIYAAA - This is an expression of surprise which was probably borne out of Aiza Seguerra's "Ngiye" expression during her Eat Bulaga days. When I was working at McDonald's Commonwealth decades ago (when working at McDonald's was still cool and classy), the crew people would say "Ngiyaaa" whenever a blooper occured. I miss the way Teng would say this because in my mind, that's the proper way to say it.

3. GANON? - This is almost a substitute for "really?" Often used when in doubt, Rommel is one person who says this a lot. That's why when I think of this expression, my mind replays Rommel's voice saying: "Maganda daw siya? GANOOONNNN?"

4. NAMAN! - This is an affirmation of something. Whenever someone agrees wholeheartedly about something that is said, the best way to express that is to utter these words. Sheilah delivers this word the best way possible: with passion and conviction and just a hint of sarcasm.

And the best of the lot is:

5. AYPRAISEBETHENAMEOFJESUSANDMARY - This is a classic. Back in Adformatix, our pantry girl - Lotlot - would say this whenever she'd be startled. I have no idea how she can recite something as long and as holy when she's surprised, but this is really what she says. In fact, everybody there had such a blast hearing her say this, they'd often startle her on purpose just to hear her shout: "aypraisebethenameofJesusandMary!" After which we'd shout: "nowandforeveramen!"

I wonder when I'll get to hear these things again.

2 comments:

K.noizki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
K.noizki said...

Hahaha those Pinoy expressions!

A friend of mine who is now in Australia loves to say "Panis" as pertains to "forgetting something" or "spoiling a fun part" of conversation.

I have lived here in HK for a long time now and my favourite expression would be, "Ma Ya' mah?" in a very 'copycatted' cantonese tone.

K