Sunday, August 20, 2006

Enjoy the show

Since I got my own flat, I’ve developed this bad habit of doing house chores in my underwear. (Emphasis on “doing house chores.”)

Considering that most of the flats here in HK are built so close to each other, I shouldn’t be too bold (pardon the pun) to do that. After all, the view from my window is my next-door neighbor, so if I can see them, they can definitely see me.

That’s why my curtains are closed 99% of the time, especially during weekends when it’s housecleaning time.

This is the view of my neighbors building from my flat.


Today was chore day, and since I was in Manila last weekend, the flat was a bit messier than usual. After lunch, I quickly (un)dressed for the job and proceeded to clean my room like an obsessive-compulsive madman.

It was while sweeping the floor when it hit me: I forgot to close the curtains!

And to make matters worse, my neighbors from the building across were looking out of their windows, and presumably, into mine. By neighbors, this means that there were two sets of on-lookers.

If these neighbors were on the same floor as mine, it wouldn’t be as alarming since my windows were only half of the total length of the wall. Doing the math, that would mean they could only see my upper body.

But horror of horrors, they were actually on the 9th and 10th floor. This can only mean that they could probably see more than they needed to. This is where they were standing and watching me:


Stunned, I froze in place. Holding the broom with both hands, my eyes blankly gazing outside, right into my neighbor’s windows. The man on the 10th floor balcony quickly went inside after realizing that I’ve discovered my folly.

Presumably, the two ladies on the 9th floor would follow suit. But in a turn of events that can be best described as bizarre, they started waving at me. And if my lip reading skills are correct, they said “hello” and “hi.”

At that point, all I could do was smile, wave back, and skitter away to the other room. After a minute, I went back to the room, but lo and behold, they were all gone. They probably thought: “Oh, the show is over. Let’s go.”

This whole fracas makes me want to put a big sign on my door that says: “Make sure the curtains are closed before you clean.” I’m hoping that this lapse of judgment will never happen again.

But today it did. And all I can say is: Thank goodness Bench makes really cute boxer briefs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you would develop quite a following after that peep show in your Bench undies. I have this Bench boxer briefs in yellow-and-brown stripes and I love it!