Sunday, July 23, 2006

Things people say...

...when they think you don't understand them.

I'm always amazed at how people will always mistake me for something else other than a Filipino. This is frustrating at times, but amusing as well. Today, I've had about 4 run-ins with Filipinos who had something to say about me, and said it within earshot. Of course, they assume i'm not Pinoy and I can't tell what they're saying.

Well kids, I do! Harharhar.

Here's what I heard today:

1. "Tignan mo yung binti niya, ang puti-puti!" - Said by a woman sitting beside me on tram on my way to Central.
2. "Sige na, tanong mo kung saan niya nabili yung t-shirt niya. Ikaw ang magaling mag-Ingles, diba?" - Said by a lady while I was at Giordano in TST.
3. "Ang suwerte naman ng GF niya, siya pa mismo ang bumibili ng damit para sa kanya." - Heard a woman telling this to her male companion while I was shopping for clothes at Mango)
4. "Ayan... ayan ang tinatawag na low waist." - Remarks by the man sitting behind me -- in church!

If they only knew I understood them.

Then again, maybe next time I should let them know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh those run-ins are hilarious! :-) Here, I would pass by Filipinos and I know they're Filipinos since they're speaking Tagalog. But I didn't have the gut to talk or greet 'em.... Sigh...