Saturday, July 08, 2006

Post from the lobby of a creepy hotel

Sawasdee Krup!

Today we arrived at Pakchong, Thailand. This is about 3 hours away by land from Bangkok, and it's past Pattaya. Considering that i've always found Pattaya a bit far, that can only mean this place is in the middle of nowhere.

Pakchong feels like Tagaytay with a little bit of Escolta thrown in for good measure. The area is surrounded by mountains and a lot of greenery. There are resorts and spas all over the place, but most of them look a bit run down and reminds me of all those "accommodations" in Los Banos. The buildings are a bit old and run down, and majority are low to mid-rise buildings. Stalls scatter the streets and there is no McDonald's store anywhere in sight. (This, in my opinion, is the true sign of how non-progressive this city is. Heh.)

Right now, i've just checked in my hotel which is supposedly the best hotel in Pakchong. "Best" is a relative term, of course. My room is old and has that musty carpet smell. The TV only has 4 Thai channels (no HBO, the horror!). The bathroom has mold and mildew all over. The mini bar has two cans of beer. And the building looks haunted.

The lobby looks like Manila Hotel's lobby 20 years ago. High ceiling, old furniture, white walls - it's supposed to channel grandeur but fails miserably. I feel as if i'm at the lobby of the haunted film center in CCP. (This is a major let down considering I just came from an excellent suite last night.) The hotel restaurant feels like CASAA in UP, and the corridors feel very "The Grudge."

And yes, there's no in-room internet. Since I had to check my email, I asked where there business center was. Alas, there isn't one. But they were kind enough to let me use their office computer for a few minutes. And because they were nice enough to do that, i'll stop ranting about this place and be thankful that they let me go on-line.

No comments: