Thursday, September 01, 2005

It's beginning to look a lot like...



September 1 is a one of the dates I look forward to. I'd wake up and excitedly prepare for work. Board the Cubao jeep going to the MRT station, whip out my stored value ticket, go through the security check, and go up to the platform. There, i'd hear it. The sound that never fails to lift my spirits high:

"We wish you a Merry Christmas. We wish you a Merry Christmas. We wish you a Merry Christmas. And a Happy New Year!"

Today marks the official start of the Christmas season in Manila. Radio stations would start playing all the cheesy and not-so-cheesy holiday ditties. People will start greeting you "Merry Christmas" in half-jest. National Book Store will start bringing out their cards and wrappers. And people will start taking out their naughty/nice list and start shopping.



I love, love, LOVE the fact that we have THE longest Christmas season in the world. It begins September and ends on the Feast of the Magi. I guess it reflects our innate love for parties and joyous occasions. Being 101% Filipino, I always try to find an excuse to party, or organize a party. There's something about friends, food and funky music that really gives me an adrenaline rush. The season gives us the excuse to party as much as we want, as long as we want.



I'm going to miss that this year. When I rode the MTR this morning, it was the usual tri-lingual PA system asking everyone to "Please mind the gap between train and the platform," and "Please stand back from the door." When I was walking to the office, I had the same "it's business as usual" feeling. No one's there to greet me "Merry Christmas" or "Uy, Ber months na! Pasko na!"

Maybe I should just run off to HMV, buy a Christmas CD and pop it in my iBook. It won't be the same, but it's a start.

MERRY CHRISTMAS WORLD!

No comments: