Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Discourses about my future abode

Checked out 3 flats tonight. All of them look exceptionally promising.

Flat 1: Has one big bedroom and a nice living room and a decent dining area. The kitchen and bathrooms are ok, too. This one is furnished, and it has that suburban California vibe to it. Honestly, my first impression when I stepped in was: "Whoa! Did someone beam me up to Hayward, California because this looks like Auntie Aning's house!" Which is a good thing. I particularly like the bedroom because it's super spacious. Downside is that it only has 1 bedroom. Where will my guests sleep when they come over?

*conversation between me and i
ME: They sleep beside you, stoopid!
I: Well, of course. But that'll only work if they're family members visiting. How about friends.
ME: They can sleep on the couch.
I: Don't you think I've thought of that? It's the precise reason I'm getting a sofa bed.
ME: So what's the problem then?
I: I kinda feel bad since they won't have too much privacy. They ARE sleeping in the living room for crying out loud.
ME: That ain't your problem, buddy. They're visiting you, so beggars can't be choosers.
I; But I don't want them to feel like beggars...
ME: Oh shush! You've got two more to check out.

Flat 2: Same building and specs as the first one. Different floor, different orientation and 2 bedrooms. Frankly, it's just like the 1st flat, but this one is unfurnished, and the paint looks a bit old. The kitchen ain't so nice as well. But then again, it has 2 rooms. More space for visitors, less space for me though. The thing is, Flat 1's 1 bedroom is also Flat 2's 2 bedrooms. So imagine the big bedroom with a wall in the middle, and there you have it folks. The living room and dining room are of the same size. So if I get a sofa bed, then I have room for more guests. Downside: compared to the first flat, the color and decore are pretty unattractive.

* continue conversation
I: Looks promising.
ME: But did you see the roach traps in the kitchen? Uh-oh. Bad news.
I: Well it's an old building, and it's Kowloon. It's bound to have roaches.
ME: Just because it's bound to have doesn't mean it has to have.
I: I don't like the bed and cabinets though. It's so... provincial...
ME: Agree! We must get rid of those in favor of those frosted glass babies in Ikea.
I: Ah, you have my nod on that.
ME: I think you've found a home, Mr. Morales.
I: But I'd still like to see that last flat. Who knows?

Flat 3: I have been warned. This flat requires A WHOLE LOT OF IMAGINATION! You see, it's just going to be renovated. It was formerly a 4 room halfway house/hostel, but it's going to be transformed into a 2 bedroom flat. The renovations haven't began, though, so it's supposed to look really sucky at this point. And man, they weren't kidding. The flat looked like it was some dingy massage parlor in its past life. Which led me to ask the landlady: "What was this place before?" I was quite nervous that IT WAS a sleazy, dingy joint, and I wouldn't want to live there.

So when she told me that it was a hostel. That kinda eased my reluctance. The landlady - a very, very nice woman, I must say - explained to me the changes that were to be made and how the whole thing will look. She asked me to "imagine," and being a creative person, my imagination went wild! Not only was I imagining how the flat would look, I was also imagining my furniture in the rooms, my visitors as they hang around in the living room, the breakfasts I'd cook in the kitchen then serve my guests in the dining room. I had to slap myself back to reality before my mind went too far away.

Downside: Old building. Offices for neighbors. I think they're mostly Indian or Nepalese in the building. I passed by an Air Nepal office on my way to the flat. And there's some sort of an Indian office in front of the flat I want to rent. Also, it'll only be available on the last week of September.

ME: Too many downsides.
I: Well kid, that never stopped you before.
ME: Looks like somebody likes the flaaaatttt...
I: It's got a lot of space, and high ceilings, white walls, parquet flooring...
ME: This has got a lot of potential, huh.
I: Snaps to that!
ME: So, let's ask for a draft of the contract.
I: Just what I had in mind.

Tomorrow, i'm going to look at the contract. At least, if this falls through, I've got 2 more options that I love equally.

Should I bring out the "Home Sweet Home" mat now?

No comments: