Tuesday, July 26, 2022

WATN: (Not) Over the Hill

Lauryn Hill has one of the most captivating voices in American music. It's so soulful and smooth, and whether she's doing a ballad or a rap, the emotion of the lyrics pierce through and hit you directly.

My ears first heard the magic of Lauryn Hill was during her stellar performance in "Sister Act 2."

Whether she sang "His eye on the Sparrow" or "Joyful, Joyful," you can't help but be mesmerized by her voice and presence.

Then, she sang "Killing me softly" with The Fugees, and her more upbeat rendition gave a unique and fresh take to the Roberta Flack original.

When her album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" came out, in 1988 I rushed to Music One to get a CD.  That CD was on repeat whenever I was at work and working overtime, especially "Doo Wop (That thing.)"

Until now, this song is on repeat, and I've been listening to it on a daily basis for months. now. I've also been watching her youtube performances of the same song from more recent shows in the US, and it's as engaging and head-bopping now as it was then.

This makes me wonder where she is now and when she's going to make new music. We need to hear more of Lauryn Hill, stat!

No comments: