Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Hand-yman

Fun fact: Part of my advertising career is being a hand-talent. So, not only do I make commercials, my hand appears in commercials!

It started in the 90s, during my first job in Adformatix.

During a print shoot, we were having difficulty directing a talent on how to handle a capsule. To expedite things, I went in front of the camera and showed the talent how to do it. 

Suddenly, the photographer told me that I should just do it myself. And he photographed my hand for that print ad. And that began my "hand-talent" career.

Since then, I've appeared on print ads for a mobile phone (holding the newest model), print ads for a beer brand (holding a bottle of beer), a television ad for a cigarette brand (holding an unlit cigarette, because it's not allowed to advertise a lit cigarette,) among others.

Last week, our latest TVC for Gardenia came out. And guess who's hand was featured there?

Yes, that's me! (My hand, at least.)

It was the same story. While showing the talent how it should be done, our director told me that my hand was what he was looking for in the shot.

And just like that, the role was, uhm, hand-ed to me.

No comments: