Monday, August 03, 2009

Full Circle

Twenty-three years ago, my siblings and I boarded our old, yellow Toyota Liftback and went around EDSA to welcome President Cory as she took her place in Philippine history.

Today, my friends and I stood in the middle of Ayala Avenue to say goodbye to Tita Cory.



Thank goodness Lyli asked me to join them in the middle of the street. I was just about ready to watch the proceedings from a distance at the Enterprise building. The energy in Ayala Avenue was different. There were so many people waiting to say their last goodbye.







There were strange and questionable occurrences. Among them, a band playing the Ayala Malls theme song (how's that for blatant promotion), and a guy attributing the presence of Assumption students to the fact that Cory used to study at St. Scholastica's College. Plus, there were unabashed displays of politicking which made me even more sure not to vote for the pedicab guy. But aside from that, it was a farewell that was fitting for a woman like Cory.



Tita Cory has gone full circle. And I feel fortunate to have witnessed her as she did.

*Thanks to Beth and Mother Lyli for the pictures

No comments: