Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Two weeks Max

Only in Hong Kong can you go downstairs to buy lunch and a newspaper, and come back up carrying something as scrumptious and headline worthy.

Blame it on the restaurant who told me to wait 15 to 20 minutes for my order. That gave me enough time to aimlessly wander to the nearby store and check the racks for anything interesting. In this case, that piece-de-interest was a confection of silk jersey, chiffon and lace. It was a Max and Cleo maxi dress in classic black and white.

The first time I came across this brand, my first reaction was that the logo looked strangely similar to Max Azria. I thought it was a deliberate attempt of a small brand to ride on the image of a better known brand - similar to Espada and Escada, as well as Xara and Zara. Later on, I found out that Max and Cleo is part of the Max Azria group of companies, along with BCBG, BCBGirls, and Herve Leger. In Manila, it's carried in Rustan's and they've got a nice selection in the Shangri-La and Makati stores. This explains why the designs and workmanship of their dresses have Mr. Azria's touch.

With more than 10 minutes left, I was trying to decide whether to get the dress or not. A quick run through the entire rack revealed that the dress I was holding was the last piece in the entire store. If this dress could talk, it would probably be telling me: "Look doofus, this is your last and only chance to buy me. So think very carefully before you put me back on the rack." Being a very reasonable guy, the lament of the dress was heard.

So, not only did I buy today's issue of South China Morning Post, an order of seafood noodles and spicy tofu, I also got a black and white maxi dress from Max and Cleo.




Last night, Mark was asking me whether I've done any shopping lately. I told him that I have a 3-week shopping moratorium, largely due to my insane-7-suitcase-yielding-shopping-trip with my sisters here in HK. Because of this Max and Cleo dress, I'm a week short.

No comments: