Wednesday, April 23, 2008

That's Fresh

My nephew told me that this commercial is already airing in Manila. Then my friend told me that they've already received more than a hundred video entries after less than 3 weeks. I'm really not surprised because Filipinos do have an extreme liking for "star searches." Heck, I remember how we had to wade through entries when we re-launched Palmolive Circle of 10 in 2003.

This TVC for Fresh Confidence is one that's close to my heart, for a number of reasons.

From the moment the storyboard got off the colored printer, it was clear that I wouldn't have an art director working on this. This is one of the projects that I worked on alone: from the preparation stage, to the actual shoot, up to the editing. The last time I really worked on a project alone was back in SMC when I'd do their AVPs, so this experience was one that I missed.

Second, the talent we had was unlike the other blowhards I've been working with. Lucky was very raw and unassuming, and that's probably why he really shone in this commercial. During the entire shoot, I could sense his excitement and anxiety because this was his first big, BIG project. This "positive insecurity" made him more spontaneous - the very attitude we wanted. And to think we almost replaced him at the last minute. Then again, he isn't named "Lucky" for nothing. (Oh, Lucky also reminds me of my big brother Biboy when he was younger.)

Third, I got to work with a lot of "old-new" people in this project. "Old-new" because I've known them for quite some time, but never really worked on them directly on a project. Kitty and I have been colleagues for more than a year, but this is the first production we've collaborated on. Same with our directors Joey and Nico - Joey is someone I've known for more than 5 years, but this is the first project that I worked on with him directly. It's a good thing that Mamu was there during the entire production since she made everything easier and the process became smoother.

Lastly, it was a really good end product. I'm happy with the commercial, and so were the directors. Our MD said that it was a lot better than the original material from China, and the suits at the office were very happy with how it came out. Not bad for a project that I had to work on alone.



The full commercial, tips to win and entries are all available at www.colgatefreshconfidence.ph. One of these people just might be the next Fresh Confidence Star.

Sali na!

(That's the copywriter in me talking.)

No comments: