Thursday, May 01, 2008

Blame it on Boleyn



Thanks to this film, I spent most of the day reading books and researching on-line. It's been a long while since a film that was based on a true story got me so interested on the true story. "Elizabeth" doesn't count because I've been reading about her since I was in elementary school, and was familiar with her life story way, way, way before Cate Blanchett's acting opus. In contrast, I've heard the names Ann Boleyn and Henry VII, but never really bothered to know their life stories. Until this film.

The story of the Boleyn sisters is fascinating. It's proof that life can be one big soap opera. The story of Ann and Mary, their parents, brother, uncle and subsequently Henry VII, had everything - romance, drama, suspense, conspiracy, comedy, action, sex and a smattering of almost-incest. Their lives had such a complicated plot line, and it brought the concept of "dysfunctional families" to a new high.

One of the reasons for my fascination is that I didn't realize how much Ann Boleyn changed the face of England. She had a short life, but a long legacy. After all, she is the mother of THE Elizabeth I. I can't imagine any other contribution that can top that.

Funny thing was, even if I knew the fate that Ann would suffer, part of me was hoping that the movie would change the ending - just to make it more Hollywood. But alas, it was still "off with her head" in the end. But after reading how Queen Elizabeth I named her martyr and heroine after her coronation, it made me feel a bit better.

The film also got me interested in the peripheral characters in their story. I spent an hour reading about Catherine of Aragon and her daughter Mary of Tudor. Their stories - though separate - eventually wind up with Queen Elizabeth I. Then I was able to piece together parts of the first "Elizabeth" film with the story of the Boleyns. And the story comes full circle.

While this film is nowhere near "Elizabeth" and "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" in terms of impact and acting, I'm glad that I watched it. It gave me a better appreciation of the intricacies of the royal family and the foundation of England. Plus, it awakened the history buff in me. Trust Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson to make history a lot more interesting.

No comments: