Thursday, April 24, 2008

Happening at Home

This week's edition of HK magazine featured Manila as one of the "happening" cities to check out. The article states that because of the increasing influx of money and growing sophistication of the citizenry, a weekend trip to the capital is one thing that Hong Kongers should consider.

I love Manila. I love the Philippines. While some people are opting to get out of the country, I'm one who longs to come back to it. Call me an idealist, but I believe in the potential and the promise of our country. People who have "escaped" often complain about the chaotic, inefficient and what-have-yous state back home, but as a friend from New York told me: "It's unfair to compare one city or country to another. Manila will always be Manila just like New York will always be New York. I don't know why people want to leave this place because I'd like to stay here."

In that article, they had a list of "must do" things while in town. Some of them are expected: go to a spa (either Chi or that famous place in Malate), go on a tour (Celdran's Tour was suggested) and see colonial architecture (aka Intramuros and San Agustin Church.)

Hong Kong is Asia's Shopping Capital, so I didn't think they'd pick up on the shopping scene in Manila. But the writer said that she was impressed by our malls - they're up to par, and some even better, than the ones in HKG. She singled out Greenbelt 5, saying that the shopping and dining choices are top shelf.



The article singled out John and Yoko for its excellent sushi offerings at uber affordable prices. For those looking for high fashion at low prices, Religioso is the place to visit. She mentioned buying a number of pieces from them, and she was very happy with the purchase.

Another place that was mentioned was Chef Laudico's restaurant. I've always heard about it but I've never visited the place, but after reading about their version of "sinigang na hipon," I'm putting this place on my itinerary during my next trip back home.



It was also nice to know that we now have a "Hop On, Hop Off" tourist bus service similar to the ones in Barcelona and Berlin. The DOT is really doing their homework and their next assignment should be putting up more visitor's centers around the city, and country. (Use the Singapore Visitor's Centre along Orchard as peg.)

That article in HK is the second one I read about Manila today. Both had the same theme, and that's painting Manila as one of Asia's newest hot destinations. Yup, Manila is definitely getting hotter, and this time, it's not just talking about the weather.

No comments: