Wednesday, April 09, 2008

End of an Addiction

Last night, they showed the final episode of my current addiction - "Hotaru no Hikari." Since they started showing this Japanese romantic comedy series a few months back, I was immediately hooked. On hindsight, I've been hooked on a couple of Japanese TV shows lately - starting from "Mother at 14" then "Top Cast." While I was able to finish the former, the same can't be said about the latter. This show was shown during a very busy time at the office, so I'd often miss episodes. But after that, my resolve make sure that the same doesn't happen to "Hotaru" became stronger.

While I missed an episode or 2 of this show, I was able to watch all the episodes that were integral to the entire series. From the initial meeting of Amemiya and the Chief, to the unfolding of the love story of Amemiya and Makoto, to the Chief's longing for her when she moved out of the house.

What makes this series great is the lead character, Amemiya Hotaru or "Silly Miya." She's this pretty girl who's actually a big slob at home, and she whiles away the time by drinking beer and belching to her heart's content. Despite her being unlady-like, she captures the affection of two men: Makoto is the obvious admirer, while her boss, the Chief, is the more secretive one. This love-hate relationship between the two is the main conflict in the show, and it's the source of the show's great humor.

As expected, the show ended with Amemiya and the Chief ending up together. It's a fitting end since they look better together.



I can't wait for the next Japanese show that they'll air on Pearl. Hopefully, it'll be as addicting as this one.

No comments: