Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I say, Brrrrr....



Nope, there aren't any Clovers in the atmosphere. It's just plain cold.

February is the coldest month in HK, and this is the month when they bring out the heaters and electric blankets to try and battle the sudden drop in temperature. I remember when Joannah and Sridhar visited HK with Jo's parents last February. Her Dad and Mom opted to just stay in the hotel because it was too cold outside. That's how the weather is like now.

Frankly, I have nothing against cold weather. In fact, I like it a lot. When I was in Europe and Mexico, I'd relish the cold spells and would hang around by the park to enjoy it. But there's just something about the winter here in HK that ticks me off - big time. And I'm starting to get that feeling again.

First, the cold weather here is erratic. Sometimes, it's warm in the morning, then it'll be freezing at night. Or vice versa. Unlike in Europe, or even in Japan, the cold is consistent and my body eventually adjusts to it. Here, the see-sawing of temperatures makes it hard for my body to get accustomed to the cold. Irritating!

Second, houses here don't have central heating. Maybe it's because the cold only lasts for about 30 days out of 365, but flats here aren't fitted with heaters. When winter comes, we all have to buy those little electric fan-like contraptions that don't work as well as their big, gas-powered brothers. Winter in Amsterdam was bearable because all I needed to do was adjust the dial and the entire house would be toasty-warm. Here, the warmth isn't consistent. Irritating!

Third, the cold season here is gloomy. It's bad enough that the sky is gray, but the tall buildings block whatever blue sky is there. Ergo, there's this dark and drab feeling enveloping the entire place. When I stayed in Japan last February, it was bright and white despite it being cold. I guess the brightness creates the illusion of warmth. And there are no illusions here in HK. Dark and cold is never a good combination, and that's why the next few days won't be good. Irritating.

Yup, I'm officially irritated by the weather. Luckily, I've got videos like these to divert my attention.



I'm so glad that I'm flying back to Manila tomorrow. I need to get my fill of brightness and heat.

No comments: