Saturday, January 12, 2008

Brooch the idea

One thing I re-learned during Bonique's wedding was the fact that a brooch can transform the look and feel of an outfit. Since her entourage would all be wearing short, champagne dresses, I thought of buying silver and crystal brooches as accent. After fastening the first brooch on Alfie during her fitting session, Aling Bright agreed that it added a notch of glamour to the dress.

Even on the day itself, I had some extra brooches in my pocket just in case someone needed it. Good thing I did because Bonique's Mom was looking for a way to add accent to her outfit - and that's when the pearl and crystal flower brooch came in. And when Bonique arrived at the reception and removed her veil and train, I added a pearl and crystal cluster brooch on her sash for added "Monique-ness."

While traversing Li Yuen Street this morning, I came across a hole-in-the-wall shop which was very nondescript. But my "shopping instincts" asked me to stop and come in. So I did. And I found these:



This is probably the reason why my instincts were drawn into the shop. It had a section of classic, crazy and cheap brooches. It was like the brooch god rained brooches in Central and this shop brought out all their basins and caught everything. Really! There were more than a hundred brooches on display and my hand suddenly had a life of its own - grabbing one after the other.



There were brooches with crystals, some had faux pearls, and there was the ubiquitous cameo - albeit with a twist. But among the lot, my favorite would be this art deco set of brooches. Set in silver and accented by colored enamel and stones, they're guaranteed to add a hint of 40s glamor to even the plainest of black dresses.



I wonder who's going to get married next. Maybe I should broach for a "The Great Gatsby" themed wedding and put these brooches to good use.

No comments: