Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Honestly...

Today's issue of South China Morning Post had a very interesting article. Reporters from Reader's Digest were dispatched to do a story on honesty. In every country, 30 reporters left their phone in a public place and they'd ring it to see if passers-by would pick it up and try to trace the owners. Out of the 32 cities around the world, the most honest one was Ljubljana in Slovenia with 29 phones returned.

Surprisingly, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur were at the bottom, with only 13 phones returned.

And guess who made it to top 5?



Yup, good ole Manila was ranked 5th, alongside New York and Mumbai. Out of the 30 phones left behind, 24 were returned to their owners. On a personal note, I have experienced this type of honesty last year when I left my phone at the Internet Cafe in Cubao and someone returned it to me.

I'm really not surprised since Filipinos are known for their honesty. I've read so many articles about cab drivers, maitre'ds, and security guards returning huge amounts to their rightful owners. So despite all the bad press out there about Manila, I'm very heartened to hear positive news like this being broadcast in Hong Kong.

Honestly, this makes me even more proud to be Pinoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good to know. :)

K.noizki said...

I would say, for a change that's something to be proud of.

Funny when I was with my sister in Manila she got so scared of me using my phone in the mall, she demanded I hide them away as there were two many "hablot phone gang" around. Sa awa wala naman, I even saw lots of youngster playing their latest Nokia phone and no one even dares to stare off their gadgets.

K

ron cruz said...

wow... a manila stereotype anti-thesis! this is good news.

i'll do my version on my blog, hope u won't mind! hehehe

;-)

Dazed and Confused said...

Hey Mark. I hope your trip to Amsterdam is going well. Oh, I forget to tell you: if you want a good laugh and a few kicks, try and visit the Sex Museum near the Central Station and the Torture Museum near Calverstraat.

Hey K. Strangely, I never fear for my phone when i'm in Manila. Then again, my phone is a very, very, very old phone and I don't think anyone would be interested in it. Unless they're into antiques. Hahaha.

Hey Ron. It really is good news. And I'm glad that you're going to spread it some more.