Monday, July 02, 2007

Fresh from the oven

Yup. Another day, another odd experience. Gosh, if I had a dollar each time a kababayan would talk about me in front of me (thinking I'm not Filipino and can't understand them) then I'd have extra shopping money that I'd spend on the Zara sale. (Of course we're talking about US dollars here. If it were in Hong Kong Dollars, I'd only have an extra Happy Meal or two.)

I took the MTR on my way home, and stood near 2 Filipinas in the crowded train. In less than a minute, this conversation between the two of them happened:

PINAY 1: Tignan mo yung Intsik na yon, may hitsura.
PINAY 2: Alin?
PINAY 1: Yan, yung nasa tabi mo. Bihira nga ako makakita ng Intsik na ganyan.
PINAY 2: Hindi naman kasi purong Intsik yan. Siguro isa lang sa magulang niya ang Intsik.
PINAY 1: Bakit naman?
PINAY 2: Iba ang hitsura niya, tignan mo yung mata niya, hindi masyadong singkit. Ang kapal pa ng kilay niya. (Gosh! This did it for me!) Siguradong may halo na yan.
PINAY 1: Oo nga. Tsaka matangkad siya. Tsaka iba yung kulay niya. Baka Kastila ang tatay niya.
PINAY 2: Tumpak ka. Malamang, Spanish bred yan.

Gosh. Do I look like tinapay?

3 comments:

K.noizki said...

Hahaha those typical Pinays. Buti na lang di ka pinintasan. I reclled, a friend taking a ferry ride to Kowloon almost had an argument with two Pinays as she overheard them saying, "tingnan mo ang matabang chekwa na yun, ang sungit tingan". Di nila alam eh Pinay yung tinutukoy nila.

Sometimes I hate (a strong word that is) those who judge us by our physical appearances, minsan naman we uses our own language as an advantage, little did we know, mali pala akala natin.

Tuloy, I clicked on your "About" picture, eh mukhang Spanish breed ka nga at hindi Chinese.

I think you look familiar. Did I saw at St Jospeh church? Baka namalikmata lang ako, baka Portuguese yung nakita ko. :)

K.noizki said...

btw, that was me, K

http://knoizki.wordpress.com

Dazed and Confused said...

Hey K. The language thing is so true. I've even had an experience when people were talking about me in Bicolano - and fortunately (unfortunately for them) - I can understand the dialect. But still, I let it pass.

Yup, I do go to St. Joseph's church once in a while. So that Iberian looking person might have been me. Hehehe.