Wednesday, March 14, 2007

First Foray


Despite the dauntingly long queue and the fact that I had to wait 20 minutes just to get in the store, I decided to check out the new H&M store in Central last night. Yup, I gave in to hype and went there to join the throngs of fast-fashion hungry Hong Kongers who are bent on getting a piece of H&M on their hands.

Compared to the H&M stores I visited in Europe, the one here is huge. It has 4 floors: 2 dedicated to women's wear, 1 for men and the last 1 is for kids and maternity wear. Despite the size, there were still a lot of people elbowing each other over an M by Madonna dress or a bejeweled caftan. Cashier queues were also long, but that's always the case in all "just opened" stores here.

Their men's line is much cheaper than Zara or FCUK, but then again, the quality is a bit different. As Arnie mentioned in her blog, H&M = Halatang Mura. Which should be no problem because it really is cheap. The basic pair of jeans at Zara costs HK$459, while at H&M, it's only HK$200. Their shirts are nice, but nothing spectacular. I still prefer the designs of Zara, or even Uniqlo.

There wasn't anything interesting for men, and the women's area was in an advanced state of disarray that discouraged me from even going there. So where did I end up? The kids section! And what did I end up buying? Clothes for Javier!


It would've been uber easy to go loco over all the funky kids clothes, but I had to choose just 4 pieces. I got a pair of jeans, a pair of cargo pants, and 3 shirts. (One of them was a 2 pack, so I counted it as one piece.) There was a polo shirt that was so cute, but I was already in the cashier when I saw it, and I didn't want to queue up all over again.


Well, there's always Saturday.

3 comments:

Lu-AnnFuentes said...

Lester: Kin, Jing, and Ker were talking this morning for common dates for our Hong Kong escapade. Kin suggested May 18 to May 21. Work for you? Yes? No? We're staying at your place, remember? Hehe. Tell me at lu-ann@i-manila.com.ph or post a comment at layas.blogspot.com

Lu-Ann

Anonymous said...

Ah, that familiar-looking carrier bag. :-) H&M also has a four-storey store here in Oslo, but it's integrated in a department store. Two of stand-alone stores are only three-storey high each. So our stores here must be bigger than say, in Amsterdam or Barcelona? I don't know...

Dazed and Confused said...

Hey Luann! Of course you're all welcome to stay. I'll email you in detail in a bit.

Hey Mark! Despite the bad rap it gets in Europe, I still love H&M. The stores in Amsterdam and Barcelona aren't that big. They're usually 1 or 2 floors. I'd love to see the H&M stores in Sweden, though. Being their homebase, i'm sure their stores are spectacular.