Monday, November 06, 2006

Sibling Revelry


As my birthday officially comes to a close a few hours, it would be safe to say that it's a well-celebrated birthday. There were a couple of parties, a few surprises, and lots of friends who were there to greet me personally, as well as through different means of communication. (Thank goodness we're now spoilt with choices.)

In fact, I even celebrated it in two countries! This morning, I was in Manila with my siblings and other friends greeting me a "Happy Birthday." I had breakfast there, and was able to make a quick stop at the bakeshop to get a cake from my sister. Then, a few hours after, I'm here in Hong Kong where my colleagues were singing "Happy Birthday." We gathered at the common area and I brought out the cake and ice cream I handcarried, and they brought out their best champagne. Everybody loved the sweets from Manila. Too much, in fact, that they're asking me to go home and get some more!

But one thing common in all celebrations was that I was able to spend time with my siblings. Something I do a lot, but strangely, I feel I should be doing it some more.

Last Saturday, we were together the entire day (morning: My sister's house blessing, afternoon & evening: My birthday celebration, part un). Sunday was also spent with them, and this time it was just the 4 of us - no other guests. This was fun because it has been a while since we really got together without the wives and kids. It was for dinner - my celebration, part deux. Days like these bring us back to our childhood days when we'd spend afternoons just talking and playing in our old house in Tomas Morato.

We grew up in a very tight knit family - we'd spend weekdays and weekends hanging out. My best family memories include going to Greenhills every Sunday and roaming around with my brothers and sisters. We'd usually be given money that we could spend to our liking, and we'd troop to either Funhouse or Unimart to blow the money away. Then, we'd meet at the food court of Unimart then buy Coney Island ice cream for dessert.

While some siblings grow apart when they grow up, we actually grew closer as we grew older. I think it helps that we've seen each other through different phases in life: childhood, puberty, marriage, childbirth, in-laws, spats - and everything else in between. Sharing is a very powerful glue, and I think we've shared so many things that we're now "Mighty-bonded" to each other. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Of course, I wish Biboy could've been celebrating with us, too. But he's probably driving somewhere along North Carolina or New Orleans - but hey, he didn't forget to send me a gift! So even if he wasn't able to join us, part of him did. (And since it's a present, it's actually a good part! Hahaha!)

So, while there might have been too many parties, too many eating binges, too many drinks and too much money spent on my birthday celebration this year, there's one thing that I couldn't have too much of.

And that's time with my siblings.

As my birthday officially comes to a close, my siblings and I now have to find another excuse to get together and celebrate. (HAH! As if we need one...)

P.S. I know this is dorky, but I love you guys!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cute picture!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

i suddenly have the urge to call my sister and tell her I wanna have dinner tomorrow. too bad, there's just two of us. but anyway, it's good to hear that you've enjoyed your day.

Dazed and Confused said...

Hey Mark, thanks for the birthday greeting. How's Norway? I'm sure the days are starting to get shorter and colder.

Thanks, Alex. I suggest you go and call your sister and have dinner with her. Any time spent with siblings is always time well spent.