Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Bubble-blowing boy busted!

The little fracas that happened to me this afternoon was so funny, it deserved to be captured on paper as well as on this blog. So, I quickly whipped out my pen and am telling this story the best way I know how.


It all started when I was in the washoorm washing my hands after eating some greasy dimsum. Palmolive Hand Wash (Oi! A free plug!) has a very sudsy formula, so even a small drop created such a thick and rich lather on my hands. Even as a child, I loved making soap bubbles, and since the lather just begged to be blown, I let my inner child loose.


I started blowing bubbles. And I must say, the bubbles created by that Palmolive Hand Wash (Oi! Another free plug) were so big and sturdy. They floated around beautifully and didn't pop until it hit a hard surface. Plus, I was able to create so many of them. With one drop, I created about 5 bubbles.


I was uber engrossed in my bubble blowing bravura that I was totally oblivious about my surroundings. So oblivious, I didn't notice that one of my colleagues actually went inside the washroom. Now, this wasn't any ordinary colleague, he was actually one of the heads of the agency. (Ergo, the tie in the illustration.)


"That looks like fun," he said. And that was the only time I realized that someone was in the washroom with me. When I looked behind me, there he was, with a sheepish grin on his face. And there I was, with my lips pursed and my right hand filled with suds.


If this were a comedy show, this would be the moment when the canned music would come in. The one that goes like: hwek-hwek-hweweweweweeek! Unfortunately, this wasn't a comedy show. It was a slice of real life in an advertising agency in HK. Instead of canned music, there was awkward silence - about 10 seconds worth. But of course, it was the longest 10 seconds on record.

Caught in the act, I just smiled and said: "Yup, it is. Palmolive Hand Soap is so sudsy, you know it's effective. (Oi! Another free advertisement.) You should try it!" After that, I quickly rinsed my hands, dried it with the paper towel, said goodbye and left the washroom.

Lucky for me, this colleague of mine works with the HK side of the agency. This means I don't really work with him or have to see him again anytime soon. Although I'm wondering what would happen if we run into each other at the corridor. Will he simply say "hi", or will he purse his lips and pretend he's blowing soap bubbles? Harharhar.

Which leads me to the lesson I learned from this story: "Bubble-blowing boy, be aware of what's behind so you'll be bereft of blunders."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha hi les. i remember your thumbs in dyr. :) they look quite cool, actually...