Sunday, November 12, 2006

Santa's Workshop

The past few weeks, the extra room in my flat is beginning to look less like a room and more like Santa's workshop. Since mid-October, i've set aside a few hours every weekend to look for Christmas presents around Fa Yuen Street and Sham shui Po, and more often than not, I arrive home with a bag of good buys.

Now, there are a couple of bags that i've dumped on one side of the room, and they're fast gaining space and robbing my shoes of their much needed breathing area.

Before I flew out to China two Sundays ago, I wandered into a Watson's outlet store and was able to buy 5 rolls of Christmas wrappers. A few days ago, i brought a couple of gift boxes from Manila and have also stacked them in the same room. (Boxes are uber hard to come by in Hong Kong, plus, they usually cost more than the gift itself. Que Horror!) Yesterday, I bought scotch tapes and double sided tapes to complete my wrapping implements.

With everything in place, i've started to wrap my Christmas gifts this afternoon. And i've suddenly realized how much I miss wrapping presents. Last year, I didn't wrap too many gifts because of the limited time I had in Manila. Ergo, I ended up giving away money and gift certificates that just needed an envelope.

This year, I promised myself that i'd go back to tradition and give people gifts that they can really touch and appreciate. And to cap it off, I'll treat them to really nice wrappings that will make them think twice before ripping it open. There have been instances like this before - when I wrapped gifts so nicely, the receivers couldn't bear open them. Having missed that last year, i'll make sure that this year's wrapping will be one to be ogled at and remembered.

Excuse me, but i've got some wrapping to do...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't celebrated Christmas in three years. But this year, I'm planning on celebrating it. I never knew how I miss Christmas until I read your post. It must be on hell of a stress-reliever wrapping all those gifts. Maybe I should start wrapping gifts, too.

By the way, Merry Christmas!