Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A little Alliteration

Alliteration is the repetition of initial consonant sounds in neighboring words.

Mark has recently been fascinated with alliterations, and has been writing sentences using this literary tool recently. His sudden interest in it reminded me of my early writing days when I loved, just LOVED to write alliterations as well.

When I was writing for Newsbreak at SMC, most of my headlines would carry alliterations. One particular headline I remember was when we interviewed Camille Greene for Kaunlaran and Newsbreak. My Newsbreak Summary that week carried the line: Conversations with Camille. A lot of peole liked that headline, but we had to can it because it would pre-empt Kaularan's cover story. Despite that, I kept a copy of that summary with me, and i'm sure it's tucked away in some box back home.

The great thing about writing alliterations is that it helps me flex my creative muscle in a simple, non-headache-inducing way. All I need to do is find interesting words with the same first letter and form a sentence using them. I think it's almost like writing poetry, albeit a bit easier.

Looking back, I remember my post yesterday also had an alliteration. Today's post also has one. Maybe I should make this alliteration week and give every piece a title that has one. That should be fun and easy to do. And here's another good thing about it:

Mark might marvel at me making many of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used lots of alliterations in my former job, be it in the form of a promo title, or part of a press release headline. It's simple yet sounds well thought of. :-)