Saturday, November 25, 2006

Home hunting for Hopia

After a short but a tad bit irritating flight thanks to this crazy girl at the airport gate and a manner-less old lady who was seated beside me, I'm back in Manila. 

As usual, it's always wonderful, great, awesome and all-other-superlatives to be home. Now, on to one of the highlights of this trip - hunting for Marby's Hopia Baboy. I have a semi-addiction to this neighborhood bakery favorite. 

Ever since my taste buds were acquainted to it, there has been an on-off craving for it. This simply means that if I want it, I NEED to get it. But if I don't want it, I CAN live without it. I've "not wanted it" for the past month or so, and to make up for it, I've been "needing it" the past week. 

 Two months back, Marby's Hopia Baboy was available at the Asian store below my flat. Seeing that was like hitting the jackpot. Alas, they only had 1 pack to sell, which I bought and finished in one sitting. For the past 8 weeks, I'd peek into the store to see if they've re-stocked. Alas, they haven't. But now, i'm in Manila, and i'm sure I'll be able to find it this weekend. 

There are only 2 places where I MIGHT find it, and 1 place where i'm SURE to get it. Shopwise Cubao often has it in their bakery section, but during my last trip to Manila 3 weeks ago, they didn't have it. This might be the 9th or 10th time I've been disappointed by Shopwise. 

 Robinson's Supermarket, however, always has it on stock. Yup, ALWAYS. I've always been able to buy it there, and i'm confident that it'll be there anytime I visit. Shopwise Cubao is just 10 minutes away from the house, so I'm going there right after this post. Hopefully, today will be a good day and they'll have it. If not, I can easily hop on a bus and take a 15 minute ride to Robinson's Galleria. And Marby Hopia Baboy Mecca would be reached. 

 But before that... 

Today was very productive. Got to visit St. Scholastica's and saw the spankingly-new and uber-impressive Mass Communication wing! That's another motivation to go back and teach as soon as I can. 

The other motivations include the people in school who - surprisingly - still remember me and actually miss me only after 3 semesters of absence. Teaching is one of the things I miss most about Manila, and seeing all those classrooms where I'd hold animated lectures about selling detergent powder simply made me miss teaching a bit more. 

 Had lunch with Prichy and two other former students who are now co-teachers. It's always fun to hear what they thought of me as a professor. 

 Then, it was off to Salcedo Market with Arnie for some dirty ice cream. She said that market was a prime place to people watch every morning. There wasn't too much to see in the afternoon, though. Then again, I saw Lulu Tan Gan, who, in my book, is one of the prettiest and most stylish designers in the country. 

Finally, I got to see Arnie's flat, see her stash of newly-bought shoes, and yes, my pasalubong for her fits! Amazing! I just guessed her shoe size, and it was a perfect fit! 

Checked out Greenbelt, Landmark, Glorietta and SM Makati. Took and MRT going to Gateway, checked out the shops, then went home to write this entry. 

I'd say I accomplished a lot considering i've only been in Manila for 18 hours! But the highlight of the day has yet to commence. Excuse me while I hunt for some hopia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that back in the old days, we used to deliver eggs to Marby. Love their hopia! Goodluck with the hunt.

Anonymous said...

les! thanks OVER for the shoes. it was nice to catch up without you or me in a hurry :) hope to shop with you agains soon