Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Zara-ful Mysteries

Zara has been a favorite of mine since I've first discovered it in Barcelona some 4 years back. Since it's an ubiquituous brand in Spain, you'll probably run into one of their stores every 5 blocks - just like Bench in Manila and Giordano in Hong Kong. After my first visit in their branch at La Illa Mall, I was hooked. From then on, each time I'd go downtown, i'd make a pilgrimage to the nearest Zara store.

It's been more than a year since Zara first opened its doors in Hong Kong. *cue in sappy, sentimental music* I still remember their first branch in IFC mall, and how a trip here would never be complete without dropping by and walking out with a shirt, jacket or a new pair of jeans. Going there in January was an added treat because most of the winter clothes would be on sale, and I could easily snap up a cable knit sweater for HK$129!

Today, I had lunch at Pacific Place to get my fill of Pad Thai at Patong Thai. Since Zara was just a couple of doors away, I thought of swinging by and checking out if there was anything new.

Surprise, surprise! The lunchtime crowd was almost as big as what you'd normally see on a weekend. There was a long queue at the dressing rooms, an equally long queue at the counter, and maybe around 100 women walking around snapping every trend they can get their hands on. Some were carrying brocade coats (in preparation for fall and winter), while others were carrying metallic sweaters (since gold is supposedly big this season), and some were carrying pretty silk dresses with thick sashes (probably for a hot date).

Walking past them, I spotted a rack that had a couple of pretty dresses. There was a printed, knee length dress with a plum colored grossgrain ribbon, a white, silk number with dainty, blue prints, there was a silver, boat necked dress with a plunging back, and finally, a chocolate brown chiffon number with black beads. I picked up the ribboned dress since it looks like something that my sister would dig. It was the right size, and when I looked at the price, I was simply shell-shocked.

It was priced about 50% off the original! I proceeded to check the other dresses, and they all had the same marked down price.

Immediately, I snapped up the printed dress and the chiffon number. Aside from them being the last of their kind, it was also the right size for my Ate. I felt like I hit the jackpot! Imagine, two awesome dresses from Zara, and it costs less than a steak dinner at Ruth Chris'.

And to think that just 2 weeks ago, I stumbled into another set of bargains from Zara in Harbour City. They had these gorgeous tulip skirts for HK$75, and a couple of chiffon blouses for the same price. That evening alone, I went home with 6 items from Zara, and the total was less than HK$500!

It's a mystery how Zara does that. They have all these nice clothes, and they're selling them at outrageously low prices. Then again, it was just one small rack in a whole store, and most of the other stuff are at regular prices. After reading some books on retail, and finding out that the cost of production is usually only 20% the actual price, then the endless racks of regular items will definitely cover for that teeny rack of sale items. But then again, this dress I had was full priced just 3 weeks ago, and now they're practically giving it away! (I kinda pity the women who bought this at cost. They should have waited.) Makes me wonder how Zara chooses the items to be put on clearance.

What's uncanny is that it only happens in the women's section. Zara Man and Zara Kids rarely go on sales like that. Heck, if they only put that gor-ge-ous leather biker jacket at 50% off, I would have snatched it off the shelf and fought off people who would try to take it away from me!

Another mystery surrounding Zara is how it can draw so many women into its store. I've been to Zara on a weekend and it looks like SM Megmall on a Sunday afternoon. You see droves of women with piles of clothes in their arms - they not only browse, they buy! A lot! It's like women are addicted to Zara and can't get enough of it. It reminds me of how Mango looked like when they first opened in Robinson's Place. It was like a fashion battlefield.

How does Zara do it? Maybe I can interview some people the next time I go to Madrid and find out the magic behind the brand.

But as of now, I could really care less. All I know is, I have 2 gorgeous dresses in a bag and a big smile on my face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zara has opened its very first store in Oslo recently and I heard there's always a big crowd there and Zara Man has limited stocks. Ugh! I have yet to check it out. Congrats on the purchase!

K.noizki said...

"All I know is, I have 2 gorgeous dresses in a bag and a big smile on my face."

I can picture yourself with a bag heads up high looking for another shop, say Mango? ;)

K

NeiLDC said...

HAHAHA, ZARA is every where here in madrid and the rest of SPAIN! oh btw springfield and H&M as well. did i mention Pull and Bear! or El NINO!