Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Rainy Days and Comfort Food

Woke up to signal number 1, and now they've moved it up to signal number 3. Outside, it looks like it's 8pm when the truth is, it's just quarter to 4. The mood is gloomy and the air is cold.

Yes, the weather is bad, but it's also perfect for noshing on some comfort food.

Different people have different takes on comfort food. Mona says that her comfort food is french fries - especially the Belgian variety which are big and thick. For my sister, it's a big slice of chocolate cake with caramel filling. My brother's choice is ice cream. And I have a friend in Europe who's comfort food of choice is -- Dinuguan! (Bloody hell! Literally!)

I'm a very shallow person, that's why my comfort food is equally shallow. It's easy to find, no need to prepare, it comes in a bag so you can just open and eat in a matter of seconds. Actually, I should put an "s" in each descriptor as I have two favorites: Cheetos Twisted and Doritos Nacho Cheesier.

Clearly, the taste of cheese is comforting to me. But instead of the usual dairy product, i've chosen to eat it in a more processed format.

I love how Cheetos Twisted just melts in your mouth once you pop a curl in. The cheese just crackles and pops in my mouth, bursting out all over the place. Then, there's that thick cheese powder left on my fingers after - another part of the treat. Doritos, on the other hand, has been a childhood favorite. It's great how the cheese flavor blends with the corn flavor of the chip. It's like eating chip and dip in one go.


Now why are these two snacks (or junk, if I listen to my Mom) my idea of comfort food? Because I can easily imagine myself eating a bag each while plopped down on the couch watching DVDs on a rainy day. Now THAT best exemplifies comfort on a rainy day.

Hmmm... now I know what to do for dinner.

1 comment:

K.noizki said...

Typhoon & heavy rains comes often before the Moon Festival. When it rains here, it sucks but not when you're at home.

Park N Shop has this thin crispy Australian seed cracker, totally tasty with the japanese dips.